Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tutorial: Liquid Soap from a Bar of Soap

 Turn a Bar of Soap Into Liquid Soap!

In this tutorial I’m going to turn a bar of soap into liquid soap.  I chose to do this with my face wash for a few reasons.
1. Bars of soap at my house get hairs on them and get soapy gunk all over the shower.
2. Bars disappear faster than liquid soap.
3. I use an awesome face scrubber much like an electric toothbrush and it just doesn’t work when I’m using a bar of soap instead of liquid.

Many of the other online tutorials for making liquid soap require glycerin in the ingredients list.  I chose not to use glycerin since this is face soap, but when you do this a TBP or two of glycerin is optional.  You can find a small bottle of glycerin at the drug store.  It is also very handy stuff for making bubbles with kids, but that’s for another post.

Let’s do this:


First, grate your bar of soap with a fine cheese grater.  We are going to be dissolving the soap into water, so the smaller it is and the more surface area it has the better it will dissolve.


Grate Bar Soap



Then boil a cup of water on the stove.  I guess you can also do this in the microwave; I prefer the stove. 

Boil Water To Dissolve Bar Soap


After you grate all your soap which takes just about forever pour it into your boiling water and stir.  Bring it back to a boil.

Mix Bar Soap Into Boiling Water


At this point I was noticing some clumpy-ness.  I had originally turned the heat off, but then brought it back to a boil so it could dissolve better. 

Add some more water as needed.

Add Water To Bar To Make Liquid Soap


There were still clumps of soap happening, so I pulled out the hand mixer.  This made an awesome frothy mess! 

Mix Water and Soap


I chose to add tea tree oil to my face soap.  I put this on my face pretty frequently for it’s many benefits.  I’ll cover how awesome tea tree oil is in another post soon.  This is the brand I use from the local natural food store.  Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic, so adding it to your soap makes it anti-bacterial!

Tea Tree Oil


I put in about 25 drops.

Let your soap cool overnight.  Get the hand mixer whisk out and go to town.





You can dilute your soap some more to achieve your desired consistency.

Carefully pour or funnel your liquid soap into its new container and enjoy!


Make your own liquid soap

 P.S. I work from home and make money online!  If you want to learn more about how I do this click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment